Wednesday, April 7, 2021

IVF Cycle 2 - CD 3

It's been a little while since my last update, but there has not been much going on with our fertility journey since our news that one embryo made it through day 5. I was pretty down last Thursday night and Friday, but I had the welcome and well-timed distraction of two of my sorority sisters coming for an extended ladies weekend from Saturday through this morning.

While we wait for the genetic testing on our one remaining embryo from our first IVF cycle, IVF Cycle 2 is officially underway.

I spoke to my RE on Friday, and he was very excited that we had one embryo make it to be tested. I asked if we should plan for a second cycle, and he indicated that we should unless we just really wanted to try to be pregnant right now. When I mentioned that we still would like to try for multiple children, he suggested another cycle to try to bank more embryos. We felt ready to try again immediately. My period showed up on Monday--isn't this the kind of thing everyone wants to read about on the internet?--so today I went in for bloodwork and an ultrasound.

Something that was a little different this time was that the ultrasound tech noted a cyst on my left ovary. As with seemingly everything in [in]fertility world, cysts can mean a variety of things ranging from "It's okay, let's proceed," to "We need to wait a bit," to "Cycle canceled!" In my case, we had to wait on my bloodwork to see if the cyst was producing estrogen, but it seemed like I was going to get the green light today or have to wait it out and take birth control for a longer period. (Actually, I don't think they make the cancellation call this early in the cycle, but I could be wrong.) I left the clinic with a calendar, but the caveat was that we might have to extend my time on birth control if the cyst was causing trouble.

This afternoon, I got the call that my bloodwork was fine, so we could go ahead with the original calendar. I am doing birth control pills for five days, then we go back next Tuesday for another ultrasound. Assuming that everything looks good, we will start our injections on the same schedule as last time beginning Wednesday the 13th: two days of Lupron, then the full stims.  I'm interested to see how the amounts of medication will be different this cycle, because things look the same thus far.  We still have a decent amount of medication from the first cycle, but we had to replenish a few things; I have already authorized the order with the pharmacy.

Something that made today great: Richard starts his time off today!

Time I woke up: 8:00 am

No comments:

Post a Comment