Thursday, February 20, 2020

Day 370

Today was not my greatest day. Even though I had a busy schedule that included getting dropped off at Camp Bow Wow, attending two meetings, going to Lunchtime Lifts, and going to class, I slept later than I should have. That started a domino effect on the whole day.

I had to miss my first meeting because I needed to take Scooter to Camp Bow Wow.

I had plenty of time to make it to campus before my second meeting, but then a parking lot near the stadium was closed. (I received an e-mail about it, but those lot closures don't normally affect me. Also, I would have walked to my second meeting from the first one, but that would have required making it to the first meeting...which I didn't.) I was still trying to park at 10:30, which was the time when my meeting started. I called and let them know I was going to be late.

When I found a spot at last, I ended up with a 15-minute walk in the wind and rain. I wasn't worried about the rain, as I had two umbrellas in my trunk and a rain jacket in my front seat. As it turns out, I probably needed all three. I had not paid attention to the wind, but the wind blew my umbrella inside out within the first five minutes of my walk.

Not a stock photo today, folks. This is my actual umbrella.
Cool. I was already late, and I had no evidence that my other umbrella would fare any better against the wind even if I turned around and went back for it. I opted to continue on my way, carrying my umbrella over my shoulder like a bindle. (I had to look up that word. Hooray for building my vocabulary.

As Tiger Stadium came into view, I was planning a snarky Snapchat about my great luck on such a beautiful day. Before I could snap a photo, however, I heard a horn honk. A kind lady in a white minivan had rolled down her window and was offering me her umbrella! I asked her if she wanted it back, and she said she did not. In retrospect, that was a slightly dumb question, though I guess we could have exchanged numbers and arranged an umbrella meetup on a drier day. That could have been the beginning of a beautiful friendship, but I think it's okay to just accept kindness from strangers from time to time. I'm pretty sure I used up most or all of the good karma I have generated for myself lately, but it was worth it.

I did allow myself a reprieve from my self-imposed schedule and decided to skip Lunchtime Lifts in favor of a king cake latte from CC's and an hour of quiet study in the Business Education Complex before my class. I could've probably used the opportunity to take out some of my aggression and frustration by lifting some heavy stuff. Still, I was going to be short on time getting back to my car and across campus only to rush out after my workout feeling less prepared than I would like for my quiz. The coffee and quiet were the right choices today.

My less-than-stellar day turned out all right in the end, but it was still not my best day. That's okay, though! They can't all be the best one.

Something that made today great: Good 5-mile run with Sandra this evening, even with the wind!
Time I woke up: 7:15 briefly before deciding to go back to sleep until 8:30

No comments:

Post a Comment